Hover over image to enlarge.
John Lane, The Bodley Head, 1904
1st edition. Juniper Hall still stands and is property of the National Trust. Originally a public house called the "Royal Oak." In 1762 the owner, Cecil Bishopp enlarged the house for his own residence and named it for the abundance of Juniper trees growing in the neighborhood. It was later bought by David Jenkinson and in 1792 was leased to a group of French emigres which included Louis, comte de Narbonne-Lara, grandson of King Louis XV and General Alexandre D'Arblay. D'Arblay met Fanny Burney in the Templeton Room in Juniper Hall. He later married her in the village church. In 1800 the house was sold with woodlands and garden to Thomas Broadwood, a member of the piano manufacturing family Broadwood and Sons.
Donation to Adopt $100.00